Through WCCUSD’s Ivy League Connection program, Hercules High School Students Justine Betschart, Stacy Chan, Ramiah Davis-Shephard, Louisa Man, Julia Maniquiz, and Yueming Wang will be attending Cornell University to either study Freedom and Justice or Hotel Operations Management during the summer of 2009.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Off to a great start!

Before I give my take on this program, I want to thank Mr. Don Gosney (our first blogger) for giving a warm and welcoming introduction.  

I am thrilled and pleased to have myself surrounded with an unbelievable group of supporters. Everyone who is linked with the 
Ivy League Connection program is always involved in some way or another. Everyone is on hand to provide encouragement. Needless to say, it is evident that this program was initiated by a strong team of people. It is no wonder the program, on many levels, continues to flourish.

I cannot speak for others, but I can certainly speak for myself. Having the opportunity to travel to the 
East Coast, especially to study at an Ivy League school, may be the highlight of my life. Over the years, I have been offered many opportunities to become a student ambassador and to attend summer enrichment programs at other states. This, however, has always been out of my parent’s financial capability. Therefore, going to New York (my dream place to live) means a great deal to me. Coming from a background where I always had to turn down offers, I strongly believe I will appreciate this life-changing opportunity much more on a larger scale. 

As a budding business woman and journalist, I plan to enter the business world and the media world in my own right. My interest for learning about the 
business field works in favor for me. I know that I will enter the program wholeheartedly, and I have high hopes I will pull through. 

I am definitely excited to immerse myself in a rigorous curriculum. To do well in the Hotel course, I must be extremely attentive and be able to pace myself. Above all, I will have to tweak my 
time management skills to the point where it is seamless. 

This is only the start of a long but valuable journey. I am looking forward to attending the first college counseling session and meeting other resourceful people along the way. 

Until next time, stay updated with the program by reading my blogs as well as those of others’.

Stacy Chan

2 comments:

  1. Stacy,

    Already I can tell I like you. You helped set up this blog for your Cornell group and although I beat you to the first posting, you've started off on the right step.

    And, of course, I can't help but be impressed with what you wrote. I suspect that as I read more of your postings in the next 4-5 months, I'm going to see even more of you that impresses me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy,

    Great job getting the blog up and running.

    As our Bionic Blogger -- Mr. Gosney -- said your posting was impressive and I join him in looking forward to the next few months to learn your thoughts about the program and how it impacts you.

    I am delighted that you are able to have this opportunity and I look forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete