Through WCCUSD’s Ivy League Connection program, Hercules High School Students Justine Betschart, Stacy Chan, Ramiah Davis-Shephard, Louisa Man, Julia Maniquiz, and Yueming Wang will be attending Cornell University to either study Freedom and Justice or Hotel Operations Management during the summer of 2009.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Made it through the first day


The Hotel Operations Management sign in front of Room 396.

Classes were absolutely awesome today. I met everyone in my class. There are quite a lot of students that came from abroad. I met two people from China today and one from my birthplace Hong Kong. There was also a person from Argentina who is originally from France. All the different cultures truly contributes in our discussion in class. So many different perspectives are brought to the table and it is great to hear everyone's voice.

We were split into two groups for computer use. There are 80 students in the program and only 40 computers available for use. Splitting everyone into two groups was a must. I made a very lovely friend today from Shanghai. She was in the same group as I was so we were able to get acquainted very well.

In the computer lab, our first assignment was to write a memo for the professors on why we chose to participate in the program, something interesting about ourselves, and also report on the results of a quick survey we took. The survey evaluated what Behavioral Style represents each student. I ended up being a Stabilizer-Stabilizer, an individual who enjoys working with others and is stubbornly tenacious. I was completely amazed at the accuracy of the survey. As I read the description behind my title, I felt it totally embodies who I am. I think the professors will use these results to determine the groups for our first group project. I am really anxious to find out who I will be working with.

During the lecture today, we learned about the major players with the hotel industry in terms of rooms, the largest hotel brands, the type of hotel according to service level classifications, the Average Daily Rate of hotels how much the hotel made in a day divided by how many rooms were sold that same day, and the three elements that make up the structure of a hotel business. The three elements mentioned are real estate, brand, and management. It is quite a complex process. One could focus on one element or even combine elements. There is not one way to own or manage a hotel. I found it really interesting and it is a topic I would like to elaborate on during office hours tonight. I can't wait to work with the TA's. I know they are students of the hotel school so I know they will have much experience and will be able to help me on what seems to me like an elementary topic.

One more quick note. While walking to the Trillium eating center, a new dining area besides the familiar Appel Commons, I saw a building with the title "New York State" above the name of the school. Now I understand what they mean about part of the school being a land grant. I passed by two schools like this and found it interesting. I am wondering now if it is run any differently. Does it go through a different process to conduct the school? Something definitely worth finding out. I have only been here at Cornell for four days and have explored various buildings. I am glad to say I can get to my class with ease and without the use of the map. I can even get to the Cornell Store from Statler Hall without a problem. I am so happy I have been able to explore and familiarize myself with parts of the campus essential to me so fast. I would really like to know where College Town, the B20 Day Hall, and the Robert Purcell Community Center. By the end of my three weeks, I am determined find out where these places are. Hopefully, I will have that time to find out.

~Louisa

1 comment:

  1. Louisa,

    Perhaps in future postings you can go into more detail about some of this things you're learning in class. They sound extremely interesting and we'd like to know more.

    ReplyDelete