Through WCCUSD’s Ivy League Connection program, Hercules High School Students Justine Betschart, Stacy Chan, Ramiah Davis-Shephard, Louisa Man, Julia Maniquiz, and Yueming Wang will be attending Cornell University to either study Freedom and Justice or Hotel Operations Management during the summer of 2009.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

5, 4, 3...

Everything seems so routine now. When we got here things were so fresh and so new, but now our daily rituals are all established. During our to lecture this morning we were talking about how accustomed we are to Cornell's beautiful campus, and how plain everything is going to seem when we go home.

Lecture picked up where it left off with Marx's concept of alienation. There are four different aspects of it. 1) alienation from product 2) alienation from production 3) alienation of species 4)alienation from man to man (Do not worry, I will not try to confuse anyone by trying to further my explanation from yesterday. We did, however, have some very abstract examples in discussion today as we related workers to farm land.)

The final draft of our Plato essay is due tomorrow. I do hope that I do well, I have done my best to adequately map out Plato's critique of democracy, and to follow the comments of the TA.

After class we had our meeting with Mrs. Abbey Eller. She is the director of Cornell Summer College. She asked us about our stay here and our likes and dislikes. Honestly, my overall review was very good. I love my class, my professor, my ta, and my roommate; so I really had no complaints. There were actually two other young ladies who met with us, both of whom are in Freedom and Justice. The five of us unanimously agreed that we truly appreciate the study guides our ta has been giving us.

*Ramiah

1 comment:

  1. Ramiah,

    I’m glad that you were able to provide some positive feedback to Ms. Eller. She needs to know whether things are working right and to have articulate and passionate students like yourselves providing her with a quality review is priceless for her.

    I will wish you luck in your paper and your final exam at the end of the week.

    I know you’re having the time of your life but I’m also betting you’re anxious to spend some time at home sleeping in your own bed. Patience, Ramiah, you’ll be back home soon enough.

    ReplyDelete