Through WCCUSD’s Ivy League Connection program, Hercules High School Students Justine Betschart, Stacy Chan, Ramiah Davis-Shephard, Louisa Man, Julia Maniquiz, and Yueming Wang will be attending Cornell University to either study Freedom and Justice or Hotel Operations Management during the summer of 2009.

Friday, July 3, 2009

July 3: Time to Relax

After a hectic week filled with mid-terms, papers, and countless pages of readings, July 3rd (a university holiday) called for relaxation. I have to admit that waking up at 11:00am is much more refreshing than waking up at 7:40am. I truly feel as if I have finally "caught up" to East Coast Time. After waking up and gradually motivating myself to get ready for the day, I met up with Ramiah, Julia, and Jessica (Ramiah's roommate) for brunch. Upon arriving at Appel Commons, we had no idea what we wanted to do for the rest of the day. We were all in agreement that we wanted a little time away from Big Red, so we decided that a relaxing day at the mall would be best fitting. Before leaving, we caught up with two of our Hotelies, Louisa and Yueming, who were also interested in "girl time." They needed to catch up on their sleep before the mall, so I ordered them to take a nap before meeting up with us. I'm sure they appreciated it. :)

Just as you would expect, we ate, shopped, walked, and laughed. It was the most relaxing day we've had upon arriving at Cornell, and it was definitely needed. After spending nearly 5 hours at the mall, we have now returned to Mary Donlan, where there is an "Indepen-DANCE" in the Formal Lounge. I am not too much of a dancer or party-person, so I have decided to spend the night relaxing in my dorm room. I am sure my peers will have a great time, though. Before nightly check in, I hope to read a portion of this weekend's reading, Edmund Burke, and possibly begin the revision of my Plato essay. Even though it was a lazy day, I hope to get some serious work done.

2 comments:

  1. Justine,

    What you wrote here, about resting in your dorm room while everyone else parties hearty. Was that just for the folks and that guy you left behind? Can you trust the others not to post that photo of you dancing semi-nude on the table top? On this digital age, reputations can be ruined even before the party’s over.

    Sounds like you all took a well deserved break from your school work.

    Even though I thought you all were given a special dispensation from blogging so much this weekend, I appreciate that you shared a little with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you had time to relax and enjoy a day from the books. I am not much of a dancer type either and so I am glad that you had a few moments of quiet time to relax. Like Don, I want to also echo his thoughts about taking a well deserved break.

    What I am curious about is why should students apply to the Ivy League Connection program? You are in a unique situation in that you declined to participate last year? Why did you change your mind? What made you interested this year? I would love to hear your opinion.

    What advice would you give future Herculeans who may want to apply to the Ivy League Connection. What would you share to make sure that they were ready. As you know, our program is rigorous and challenges students. Now that you have had this opportunity you can share your thoughts and impressions as an ILC participant.

    Stanford is obviously your school of choice, but what other schools are you interested in. It appears that you enjoyed your class with Professor Kramnick, but my impression, and maybe erroneously, is that Cornell is not on your short list of Universities to consider. This is fine, but I am curious about why you may not see Cornell as a fit.

    Yes, it is now time to relax, but you still have that final revision to the paper on Plato to complete. However, please enjoy your Fourth of July Holiday with your friends. I am sure that our students who are at Columbia are probably at the Hot Dog eating contest on Coney Island.

    Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
    School Board Member
    West Contra Costa
    Unified School District

    ReplyDelete