Through WCCUSD’s Ivy League Connection program, Hercules High School Students Justine Betschart, Stacy Chan, Ramiah Davis-Shephard, Louisa Man, Julia Maniquiz, and Yueming Wang will be attending Cornell University to either study Freedom and Justice or Hotel Operations Management during the summer of 2009.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

The weekend

Finally it’s time to kick back and relax.


Knowing that I have no fear of oversleeping my alarm at 6:30 am has, I slept soundly until 11. While enjoying great food for brunch, we, Louisa, Justine, Julia, Ramiah, and I, enjoyed a great conversation while catching up on what has happened to us the past week. Next we decided to head over to the Fourth of July Carnival which was put together by the RCAs at Mary Donlon. Although it was not as grand, it was nonetheless fun. I found the sumo wrestling to be the most interesting and funny activity.


After our spin at the carnival, we all retuned back to the dorms. As hard as I tried to stay awake, I knew that taking a nap would benefit me in the long run. By the time I woke up again, it was time for dinner. Wow, what a day. Although I had done essentially nothing except for sleeping, I did wake up refreshed and ready to enjoy the evening! Finally, I caught up on sleep and ready to enjoy the rest of my weekend!


Right now, we are still thinking about our evening plans. Whether we decide to go to the movies to watch “The Proposal” or staying back in the dorms for an all-girls night, we are all going to have a great night.


College is such an exciting time and I’m so happy that I can get a sneak peek at what it will be like in another 2 years. It is the perfect environment to stimulate learning yet we all have enough freedom to party and have fun! I cannot believe that this is the last weekend at Cornell! Now I’m off to have some fun!


Until next time,


~Yueming W.

2 comments:

  1. Yueming,

    Sometimes our bodies tell us we need to shut down for some routine maintenance. I’ve always made it a habit to listen when my body makes such grand statements. Sometimes we need to just lie down and let our body refresh itself.

    OI often do that while sitting in front of my computer or even while behind the wheel of my car. It’s a good thing the car knows the way so I can catch up on my zzz’s. [I’m just kidding. My car doesn’t always know the way.]

    I’m pleased to read that you got at least a little joy out of the carnival your RCA’s put together for you. From reading their blogs, with the exception of the cotton candy and the popcorn, it didn’t seem as though your compatriots found it worth the trip.

    I was especially pleased to read your last line: “Now I’m off to have some fun!”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this will be a great sneak peak into what to expect in two years. Next year, you can work with the other students at Hercules High School and encourage them to become incredibly motivated. You see how competitive it is with other students and now you are aware of what you will have to do in the future.

    The Hotel School gave you first hand insight into the challenges that you will face not just as a freshman, but during your entire time in College.

    So get ready for your final week, it will be another challenging one. I know that you have learned a great deal in your class, but I want you to also take the time to visit the Admissions office for a campus tour.

    Hope that you had a great time last night with the other girls.

    Take care.

    Charles T. Ramsey

    ReplyDelete