Through WCCUSD’s Ivy League Connection program, Hercules High School Students Justine Betschart, Stacy Chan, Ramiah Davis-Shephard, Louisa Man, Julia Maniquiz, and Yueming Wang will be attending Cornell University to either study Freedom and Justice or Hotel Operations Management during the summer of 2009.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Leisure Break

Happy July 4th readers!

Since today is a holiday, our teachers have given us a day off, thus, no office hours today.

Anyways, earlier today, the Residential Community Advisors had put together a carnival, which was located right behind our dining area on the grass. Even though I did not play any games, I feasted on cotton candy and popcorn.

Future ILC Scholars: Be sure to take time to thank your RCAs because they are the team that runs these events. I must further recognize the advisors on my floor because they work so hard to plan activities to stress diversity. Aside from listening to students' concerns, they always put the students first. They take time to acknowledge the feedback from students, as well as their suggestions.

I appreciate the Summer College experience so much because I now have a better understanding of what dorm like is like. It seems as if I have been tested, whether I can be independent and make good decisions on my own. So far, I must say I have passed the test.

I strongly encourage this program because it is more than just about academics but it is a self-learning process as well, testing one's capacity ever minute of the way.

3 comments:

  1. Stacy,

    It’s nice to read that you’re enjoying your day of leisure.

    I can’t agree more with you about the value and importance of passing along your thanks to those that go out of their way to help you and make your stay more enjoyable. A simple word of thanks goes a long way.

    I give away literally thousands of photos every year and I can count on two hands the number of ‘thank you’s’ I get from the recipients. Those that send me a simple thanks makes it all worth while to help out others. [Those that don’t bother with a ‘thanks’ or even an acknowledgement that they got the photos end up on my ‘special’ list.

    I know you still have some work to do to prepare for your final week but try to get some rest and have a good time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very well thought out post. I see that you have taken a lot from this experience and you are now reflecting about your time in Ithaca. This time next week you will be back in Hercules. So take advantage of this final week and get as much information about Cornell and everything around it. Yes, you have grown as a person and you have made new friends.

    How will you bring back your experience to us? When you are packing your belongings to come home, just take a minute to take in the environment, close your eyes and think about what it was like when you first showed up at the doors to Mary Donlon. Remember that moment when we all got in at 1:30 AM. It seems so long ago but it was just two weeks ago.

    You all will be better for coming to this program. I hope that you will find it within you to talk with the younger students and give them some insight into what it will be like to go through the scary college application process.

    Take care and enjoy your day.

    Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
    School Board Member
    West Contra Costa
    Unified School District

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy,

    Thanks so much for your blog.

    I know how quickly time flies -- I'm now back on the west coast and almost back on Pacific time.

    I am delighted you are writing to "Future ILC Scholars" (I think we might have that be a part of each blog) -- there is always an insight to be gleaned from each experience and your advice not to take the efforts of the RCAs for granted is valuable.

    I agree with you that independence and good judgment are the keys to success -- any suggestions for our teachers as to what else they could do to support developing independence and good judgment? Give it some thought when you get a chance.

    Meanwhile, keep enjoying every minute.

    ReplyDelete