Through WCCUSD’s Ivy League Connection program, Hercules High School Students Justine Betschart, Stacy Chan, Ramiah Davis-Shephard, Louisa Man, Julia Maniquiz, and Yueming Wang will be attending Cornell University to either study Freedom and Justice or Hotel Operations Management during the summer of 2009.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Our Last Sunday

Good afternoon, my dear readers.

I just realized this is our third and last Sunday of our stay in Ithaca. Is it just me or is that extremely depressing? I'm not ready to go home yet! We have one more week and I plan to make the absolute most of it - which means studying hard, spending as much time as I can with the people I've grown close to on this trip, and going to as many sites as possible and taking hundreds of pictures! I will never get used to the HUMUNGOUS bugs in this rural location, but Ithaca has grown on me, and I will miss this place deeply.

Today, the girls and I had brunch with our chaperone at the Statler Hotel. It was nice spending time together, especially since it was the first time we've seen Mr. Crossley in about a week. We ate great food and indulged in great conversation, laughing and recapping on the events of the past week or so. 

It would've been nice to go to the Dairy Bar, but it is closed on Sundays. We found that out the hard way last weekend, when we walked around campus for over half an hour in search of it, only to find it and realize it is not open on Sundays. It was a nice adventure with the girls, though. Haha. 

Well, anyways! I plan to do some more exploring and I hope to contact an alum to talk to. I've actually gotten rather close with one of the RCAs on my floor. I know talking to an alum would be great, but I actually sat right next to one at the Cornell dinner. I was able to see Cornell through the eyes of a graduate, and it proved very helpful for me. Talking to a current student, however, provides a different dimension. With her, I am given completely new insight, which is also extremely valuable. She's currently going through college, so it's nice to know her thoughts on her academics and lifestyle here in Cornell and in Ithaca.

I've met such wonderful people here at Cornell University's Summer College, and it will be hard to leave. It will be especially difficult to say goodbye to my wonderful roommate, who has become one of my closest friends during these past two weeks. Thankfully, we've exchanged contact information so we can to keep in touch. (:

Tonight, I will be doing the final additions and edits of my Plato paper. I need to compose a list of questions/ concerns by 7 o'clock, because I am going to visit Des's office hours. This paper is worth 25% of our overall grade! I want to do as well as possible, so I plan to utilize all my resources, which means meeting with Des and discussing my paper. With that said, I must end my blog here. I have much, much to do today! I will write to you all tomorrow. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekends!
- xoxo, Julia.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on that paper. I am sure you will give it your best. Thanks for letting us know how much you have enjoyed your time in Ithaca. You will have some tough decisions awaiting you in the fall. You now are armed with enough information to make an informed choice about where you decide to go to college.

    I am thrilled that now you will tell me "Mr. Ramsey, my college choice is _____". When you announce it, I will feel that you are doing it with a full set of facts. For that I am happy since it will be a well reasoned choice. I also feel the same for the other four that are entering their senior year at Hercules High School.

    Nice to see that you are still keeping close to Mr. Crossley. He needs some attention from time to time. Glad that he got to hear how things were going. So, yes, enjoy the final days of your time in Ithaca. You have learned a lot about yourself and it has been for the better.

    Take care and good luck on that final paper.

    Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
    School Board Member
    West Contra Costa
    Unified School District

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia,

    It’s sounding as though you’re getting a lot of info about some different colleges while you’re back east but I hope that before you make any announcements to Mr. Ramsey you’ll check out a few more of the college fairs this Fall. We’ll probably help you access another 100 or more schools so you can have an even bigger dilemma in front of you.

    When you write about your newfound bug friends I was reminded of a scene from an old Steve McQueen movie called Tom Horn. Tom was a ‘regulator’ in Montana around 1900 working for the ranchers. In this scene he’s invited to an outdoor dinner where these wealthy cattle barons have imported a bunch of lobsters for the fancy feed. When asked how he liked the lobsters he had a perplexed look on his face and responded: “they’re the biggest bugs I ever ate”.

    Considering that, beware of any barbecues you get invited to until you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia,

    Time has gone incredibly fast and you will be back very soon -- so savor every moment.

    I know Mr. Ramsey is looking for your college "choice" -- I'd like to know your insights into your college "priorities" --- you now have much more information to make informed judgments on what is important to you:

    urban vs. rural
    big vs. small
    east vs. west
    bugs vs. no bugs
    etc. etc.

    What have you learned of your personal priorities? And what new questions have you developed to ask at those college fairs you'll be attending?

    I'm delighted that you've made such a strong connection with your roommate -- that is what the Ivy League CONNECTION is all about, and I'm glad you plan to keep in touch -- who knows? maybe you'll be roommates again someday.

    Happy studying.

    ReplyDelete