Through WCCUSD’s Ivy League Connection program, Hercules High School Students Justine Betschart, Stacy Chan, Ramiah Davis-Shephard, Louisa Man, Julia Maniquiz, and Yueming Wang will be attending Cornell University to either study Freedom and Justice or Hotel Operations Management during the summer of 2009.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I can Excel!

I have found another interesting component to Hotel Operations Managment, Microsoft Excel! This program is absolutely amazing. Everyone complained about how difficult it was and was not enjoying it. I thought it was pretty neat. I did not fall behind like many people did. I figured out how to format charts and enter in formulas that would do all the work for me. What a time saver Excel can be! Tomorrow we have a quiz on some of the steps and functions we learned today, I think I am ready. I mean, I understood it all.

Once again, Mr. McCarthy never fails to make his lesson interesting with his wit. I was laughing almost the entire lesson. Class with him does not even seem like class, it is entertainment. He actually reminds me of some of my favorite teachers in high school. If an instructor can keep his students busy but also have fun with any situation, that is a teacher who surely knows how to teach.

I was also able to engage in some conversation with Mrs. McCarthy today. I went up to ask her a question about our CHESS individual reports due on Friday and she went into detail about curve charts that illustrate the reservation vs. days before arrival for each guest segment. I did not really understand how the graph worked. When she was explaining to me and the more I looked at the graphs, the more it reminded me of physics and Calculus last year. These two subjects almost always went hand in hand. They paralleled each other so sometimes it was easier to understand a particular topic in the class that did not intend to teach it. For instance, some of the Calculus was easier to understand in physics while some of the physics was easier to understand in Calculus. I told Mrs. McCarthy how it reminded me of physics and Calculus. I asked her if she was really good in those two subjects. She replied with a no. She explained that the examples given in math and science classes that relate to the real world are much more difficult the actual situations. I had to agree. If I looked at those graphs she presented today last year, I would have been completely lost. I think if you are actually studying the situation from a professional standpoint, the concept is much easier to grasp.

~Louisa

3 comments:

  1. Now you are what we have said "baptised". I am glad that she gave a real honest answer to your question.

    As I have asked the others in my comments this evening, take me "Inside the Walls" of Mary Donlon. I want to have a better idea about your experience living with other and having to adjust by doing routine chores that are usually done by others at home.

    Who is your roommate? How does she enjoy her class? Did the Cornell Summer Studies Program meet her expectations? Have they met yours? I need your OPINION about whether this program is worth it. What has the Ivy League Connection shown you with respect to creating awareness of what exists outside of Hercules and the East Bay.

    Do you enjoy Ithaca and Cornell and if so why? What does it mean to be a student who will receive college credit? Are you now more or less likely to apply to an Ivy League University? Do you want to stay close to home and be near your family?

    These are cutting edge questions and I hope that you can do more than just give us a daily description about the McCarthy's. We know they are great professors who are motivated and can get the best out of students, but we need to understand and learn how you have evolved as a young person during this three week stay.

    Take care.

    Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
    School Board Member
    West Contra Costa
    Unified School District

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louisa,

    Excel is like so many other programs that seem complicated and even intimidating until someone sits you down and starts explaining things. Then you start wondering how you were able to exist without it.

    I’m glad that you’re seeing how so many of the math and science courses you’ve taken have practical applications. Your instructors here probably have no idea how those graphs are formulated and why they work. All they need to know is how to make them work for them and how to apply them. For me, I always need to know how things were formulated. That’s the difference between the theoretician in me and the practician in so many other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louisa,

    What does it tell you that both Charles and I are reading and responding to your blog at the same time.

    What does it tell you about how much time we're devoting to all of this instead of better stuff (like the barbecue I still need to get going before it gets too late)?

    ReplyDelete